Internet browsing is essential and needs special attention since it is also home to various attackers, viruses, malware, spyware. You cannot imagine life without internet hence it is all the more important to follow certain guidelines to stay safe than say sorry.
- Always keep your browser updated and set it to auto update. This ensures any security vulnerabilities are fixed and protected. Modern browsers also allow you to adjust security settings that warn you about potential threats.
- Install genuine anti-virus software, anti-spyware and firewall solutions. Also ensure to keep them in auto-update mode.
- Internet downloads - never download any plugins or media player to play those favorite streaming videos. Your computer has built in capability to play these files and never require any additional software.
- Always avoid questionable websites like adult, file sharing or downloads. These are the best source of spyware and viruses. Most of these sites trick you in downloading unwanted software or scare you with alarming alerts.
- Never share you personal or confidential information like name, email, phone number, social security number, etc. on unknown sites. Always check the URL in browser address bar before submitting any of these information. Any site that request such information should be running on https. You may check this yourself by clicking on a small padlock icon and verify the identity.
- Always try and type the website URL in address bar rather than following links from emails or other websites.
- Never share your passwords with anyone.
- If you feel that the security of your browser is compromised, close all windows and run a thorough scan of your computer. If required take professional support. An unprotected computer is like an open door that threaten your internet safety with spyware and computer viruses.
- Try and use different computer for banking or financial operations and not the one which is used by kids for games and videos. Chances of infection are really high in computers which are used by kids.
- Periodically clean your browser trash by cleaning cookies, temporary files.
One of the best software available for security is HEIMDAL PRO which protects users with 3 key layers of security:
- Active shield against ransomware & malicious content
- Protection against financial malware & data leakage
- Keeps security critical software up-to-date through automatic and silent patching
Follow these tips to enhance your browsing experience and be safe. If you need any assistance, write to us at email@example.com.